Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day


I did a lot of reading this year prior to Mother's Day, just various blogs and opinion articles on the celebration. I still don't get why so many women hate Mother's Day - I know the guilt for not being perfect, the unrealistic homages to mothers over the pulpit in church, the discomfort of being the center of attention, the gift of another potted plant to keep alive...  No surprise that I am all about a day for me! No complaints here. My crew went with their usual: Breakfast (bagel & oatmeal squares) in bed, our traditional "Great Mother's Day Race" where I run around scavenger hunt style, doing all sorts of silly challenges and find my prizes (always the kids with a bow on someone's head and other various gifts). This year my challenges including skipping down the street, riding Grace's bike, playing one of Noah's piano pieces (oh how he loved standing over me pointing out my many mistakes!) and fighting through a barrage of styrofoam sword attacks. I wonder if they will still make me do it when they are all teenagers? What about when I'm 60? But honestly, look at those cute kids - what would I not do for them?

4 comments:

dinie said...

You are such an awesome mom! I love that Gwen looks bigger than you in this photo!!! How amazing is that? I love you to pieces Mychael-Ann!

Kimberli said...

I agree with you, I love Mother's Day! I love being fussed over and loved. I've never heard about your traditional "Great Mother's Day Race." That sounds like such a fun tradition. I'm betting your kids will still make you do something for the rest of your life. How sweet! What a beautiful family!

Camilla said...

you are such a fun mom! i love mother's day too!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I love Mother's Day! I love the sound of that tradition. I don't think I've heard of it before, but it sounds so fun. I love the cute little cards that the little guys make at school and in primary. I can't get enough of that or enough of not doing anything all day. I LOVE IT! Your hair is getting so long, it's really pretty.