Sunday, May 6, 2012

A bathroom moment

My most meaningful moment at church last week came while I was in the bathroom stall. Grace had an accident and I was busy cleaning her up when I realized that in the stall next to me a daughter was helping her elderly mother use the bathroom. She was lifting her from chair to toilet "scoot up a little mom" and "let me hold this for you" all the while I was changing little panties and "that's okay, you can still go to nursery" and "are you ready for me to wipe your bum?" As the mother and daughter finished up and daughter helped mother wash her hands at the sink, I helped Grace wash her hands and felt like for a moment I had experienced something special. I don't even pretend to be a "writer" and others would do the experience justice by writing more eloquently, but the moment was poignant and so many thoughts went through my mind about women and the stages of our lives and serving others and the bonds of family, I just don't want to forget my special bathroom moment.

2 comments:

Kimberli said...

What a sweet and funny moment. I think you summed it up just right. The bonds you are creating now with Grace will make those other stages easier, sweeter, I am sure.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That is special. I loved it.