Friday, January 29, 2010

Halfway there…

Last Friday Gwen turned 9. She chose ice-skating with a friend and ravioli for dinner. She got a set of books that she is very excited about (Artemis Fowl) and a charm bracelet. Birthdays are so fun. I think I found a picture from each year except for a baby pic which I’d have to scan and my scanner isn’t cooperating…

Cutie Piebath bunnyDSCF0004IMG_0016DSCF1757DSCF2088January 2009 028KBP_1039

When I sit down and look through old photographs, I’m hit with how quickly time is passing. I recently heard a father say when his children were all very young he felt like he would have such a long time to teach them and love them, but as they grew, he realized how quickly those 18 years fly by. And it hit me, we are halfway!Gwen is 9. And does she know half of what she needs to know? What does my mid-term grade look like? Am I really old enough to have a 9 year old? She won’t really grow up and move far away one day, will she? Sigh. Sniff, sniff.

7 comments:

kto1s said...

Stop it. Seriously--you're making me tear up. I'm lucky to have adored and loved this girl from (almost!) the beginning. Happy Birthday Gwen!

And I hope you're doing well on the test, because I feel like I've been cheating off your notes the whole time!!

jkmace said...

Okay, I am going to ditto Katie on this one! I too was tearing up!! You are an awesome mom and I have been blessed enough to know you and Gwen from the beginning, just wish we were always close. You get an A+ in my book. Now stop posting the way I feel so I don't cry!!

House Of P said...

AAHHH! Time to start cramming for my mid-term! As if I can really cram ;) Love that girl! Happy Birthday Gwen!

Camilla said...

She's a beautiful girl. That was a great post, you really struck a cord. I take so much for granted each day.

Jaimee said...

Hey, glad you posted the link to your blog on FB! I never thought about Alex being halfway there...that IS a scary thought. Happy B'day to Gwen!

Jennifer said...

It does go so fast. I don't know how we can ever make sure they know everything they need to know by 18. I still don't know everything I need to know and I'm almost double 18. I guess that's why we get the job of mother for life. That way they always have a backup and we can always send patches to fix whatever bug we forgot to fix before we sent them out. That's a computer software analogy. Yes, I'm married to a computer man. Good luck. You are doing an awesome job. I love that toddler pic. What a cutie.

cam said...

O.K. you are making me cry. Very well said. How we love these little ones! How fast until they aren't little anymore!