Friday, December 4, 2009

This Old House

Our house was built in 1918. As I was preparing for Thanksgiving dinner I wondered about the other Thanksgiving dinners this house has seen. I wonder about the other families who have eaten in this dining room, how many pies and turkeys have been cooked in this kitchen and who washed all the dishes afterwards? Home is an intimate place and I feel a connection with the souls who inhabited this spot before we came to be here.

I wonder how many babies have learned to walk on these floors? How many slammed doors and hurtful words have been said? How many "I'm home" announcements? Who else has cried themselves to sleep in these rooms? How many good books read within these walls? Who else has tried to scrub the black spot on the floor that won't come off? How many slumber parties held on these floors? How many birthday parties? Where did they put the Christmas tree? How many good-byes said from the front porch? How many games of ball played in the yard? How many "time-outs" given? Who else has hit their head going up and down the steps? Who else has known joy and love and disappointment and hurt within these walls?

Someone else will come and take over where we will leave off and add a new dimension to this old house. New struggles, new paint colors, new voices and sleeping habits. For all the hassle of owning an old house, I love the make believe stories I tell myself about other mothers who once stood where I am standing washing poop out of yet another onesie.

6 comments:

Kimberli said...

What beautiful thoughts. I've always felt sad when I've seen old houses empty. They seem lonely for all the things you talked about. We may not live in an old house, but sometimes when I have a new baby, use family recipes or tell family stories I feel connected to all the women in my family who have done the same.

Jennifer said...

That was lovely. I love old homes, remodeled old homes. I love the history and beauty of old homes with the conveniences of new. All the history here is mine, but it's kind of cool that we are first and that the people after us can wonder about us.

cam said...

I absolutely love your new family pics. What a beautiful family!

dixieandben said...

that is exactly why I want an old house. I love your new site layout btw.

jkmace said...

HEY,LOVE THIS UPDATE ABOUT YOUR HOUSE...YOU ALWAYS HAVE ME THINKING! WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY, GREAT SITE THAT WILL TAKE ALL YOUR BLOGS AND PICTURES AND PUT THEM INTO A PHOTOBOOK FOR A VERY CHEAP PRICE! THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL!! eaSY SCRAPBOOKING, AND YOUR JOURNALING IS ALREADY DONE!!

Melin said...

I love that. I love old houses for that reason too...it just feels like life is in their walls. And those photos are great. You look awesome.