Monday, August 24, 2009

List

1. I have made some very yummy dishes lately (if I do say so myself). I always love a new recipe so here ya go. This grilled, stuffed zucchini is delish. I used regular sausage instead of turkey, cause I like pig. Extra bonus that you don't have to heat up the kitchen since you cook it on the grill. And this recipe for ratatouille is easy and yummy and makes your house smell so good. And for something sweet, this is an unusual gingerbread type cookie bar that got rave reviews both times I made it.

2. We are coming to Utah in October! Hooray!

3. We had a blue-ribbon fair at our church last weekend. Gwen, who is not known for her competitive spirit, speed or coordination beat all the cub scouts at the three-legged race with her buddy Saige. The boys went crazy, fell down and ripped their ties off and were disqualified while Gwen and Saige made slow and steady progress to the finish line. Noah and his buddy, Wyatt also won the three-legged race in their age group. My expert advice was key in both wins. My cousin Crystal & I reigned supreme in the three-legged race scene back in the day. I even have trophies. Also, Gwen came in third in the doughnut eating contest, again beating a bunch of boys (1st & 2nd place went to twin 10 year old boys). She may get this skill from her mother as well. And my pie which I made from left over fruit slush from a baby shower I hosted earlier that day, won an award. Lots and lots of laughs that night. I hope they do it again next year.

4. Jared and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary last week. Aren't we OLD? Well, at least he is. I'm still in my twenties (78 more days...). I got some gorgeous flowers and dinner at a fancy restaurant. He got a skateboard.

5. Sean Hannity makes me want to poke my eyeballs out.

6. School started last Wednesday. Gwen brought home a math work sheet on Friday, one that you color in after you answer. She had all the problems correct, all the colored areas correct, but "please color more neatly" was the teachers response. Really? We are concerned about quailty of coloring in 3rd grade? I would never let Gwen know this, but so far I think third grade is the pits. They started talking about the SOLs (standardized tests) at back to school night!

7. I am loving this small town. The other day Ryan and Grace and I packed up our stroller and ran all our errands on foot. The library, the post office, and cookies to Uncle Greg's office.

8. We have been praying for some friends to move in close by and (I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high) my sister Dana's family is contemplating a move back to the area. We would be thrilled. We are all keeping our fingers and toes crossed.

9. Facebook.... Jared joined finally and has been pestering me. I read over his shoulder and been delighted at some of the people he's gotten in touch with - like some of our siblings. Sad, no? I honestly do not want to facebook, I think it will suck me in, but it looks to be the only way to stay in touch with my family. I feel like I can't...hold...out...much...longer... We'll see.

10. Two of my favorite blog posts I've read lately: of punishment and I can't get over my brother in law carrying the toy poodle in the moby.

8 comments:

kto1s said...

My favorite on the list is the fact that you are coming to Utah. Any possibility of squeezing some Owens' time in amongst your million relatives?!?!

The Hannity comment is a close second....

Camilla said...

Mmmm...I'm gonna have to try those recipes.

Congrats on your 10th, today is our 8th...where does the time go?

I agree about 3rd grade. We were at our little kindergarten warm-up shindig today and some of the things they were critiquing made me want to whisper in Ethan's ear, don't worry about it. Come on people.

traske.melissa said...

hey pelo crew...when are you heading to utah? it would be so fun if we overlapped!

cam said...

Any chance of heading out mid-west? I too loved the Hannity comment. MISS YOU!

Melin said...

I live in freaking fear of facebook... I am apparently the only one in this world is happy NOT to be found by that strange boy who sat next to me in algebra...if I want to keep in touch I'll find you...anyway, I'd move to your small town, walking distance is my style of living.

Jennifer said...

Dang, why did I not look at those recipes yesterday instead of on Sunday? I really want to make those Gingerbread Blondies.:-( I do not have any white chocolate though. That looks like a very tasty blog.

I never see Hannity so it's not my eyes that I want out. It's my ears that start to bleed whenever I hear his hate mongering. I haven't heard him in years though. I avoid him, as I do not like blood dripping while I'm driving.

I love that your kids are racing champs.

Yes, he is old. You are still insanely young... for a few more months.

I can't wait to see you guys.

Seriously? Coloring neatness on math in 3rd grade? That's ridiculous.

I was shocked to see Jared on FB. So funny. I have a love/hate relationship with it so I really don't know what to say.

Camilla said...

Okay, first, I just noticed you know another Camilla--that is a first for me--I'll have to check her out.

Thanks for popping in on me. I am glad to keep in touch with you guys via the www. Sounds like you've been busy.

sue said...

If u visit Katie, come say hi to me too! :)

I'm also averse to Facebook. Not sure why. Those that have been seduced by it sure are merciless recruiters. lol I have a few friends that I can't have a conversation with that doesn't include "I can't believe your STILL not on Facebook...." blech!