Friday, July 24, 2009

ho-bo snacks

Do you know about ho-bo snacks? Occasionally while on a drive, my parents would stop at a country store along the way to pick up a ho-bo snack. Usually this would consist of an oatmeal pie or (if you were lucky) a moon pie, a chocolate milk and a pack of Nabs - you know, ho-bo food. We also treat our kids to a ho-bo snack now and then and today on our way back from picking up a bike for Gwen we found on craigslist, we stopped at Yoders Country Market to pick up some refreshment, ho-bo style.
I love that store. I love love love love love "Old Style Chocolate Peanut Butter" from Yoders. Also their chicken salad with craisins and cashews. Also the homemade maple frosted doughnuts (made fresh Friday mornings!) and the huge variety of snack mixes. And the friendly staff (and while it's inappropriate to say - their cute mennonite hats). And the goats and turkey in the field next to the parking lot. I love their bread and homemade whoppie pies and candy sticks at the register. Did I mention that the drive to Yoders is gorgeous. And don't forget the homemade fig cookies and the interesting things I find like "powdered whipping cream". Oh, and once I bought a HUGE bag of Lucky Charm marshmallows (just the marshmallows) because I couldn't resist. I keep telling Jared that they have cheap baking supplies and good grains, but I think he's on to me. If you live close by and you've never gone, I love an excuse to take you there and if you come to visit us, right under Monticello, Yoders should be on your list of places to visit.

5 comments:

dixieandben said...

I was literally just thinking about ho-bo snacks last night. I had forgotten about them for so long but I'm glad to hear you're keeping up the tradition.
And I miss Yoders...

dinie said...

OH what nice memories...I love me a ho-bo snack was Dad's comment when he read this! I'm glad you didn't mention that "back in the day" those ho-bo snacks were usually what was needed to distract us from the fact that we were going for a Sunday drive aka Dad's favorite activity on a Sunday afternoon! The kids...not so much, but throw in a ho-bo snack and you could tolerate just about anything! Do you remember buying "old cheese" from a wheel they cut off right in front of you and saltines? (not Yoder's deli style but in an old country store-where there were lot's of folks hanging around...and chairs for them to sit in...and lots of fly's...)
Yep- Let me just say...I love me some Yoders!

Kimberli said...

I want to go to Yoders with you. It sounds like my kind of place. Someday, I hope.

Jennifer said...

I want to go with you too. It sounds great.

traske.melissa said...

my i love that you and katie have the exact same blog background. great minds think alike!