Saturday, January 3, 2009

THE BOMB of 2009

My kids LOVE commercials. Once upon a time, I didn't allow them to watch any tv stations that aired commercials, but those days are long gone. Now they are EXPERTS on all sorts of crazy as-seen-on-tv products like the the magnetic necklace clasp they really think I need. But of all the commercials, one has been the most talked about for months: Pancake Puffs. I have been called into the living room on numerous occasions to watch how cool and totally awesome this pan is. So when we were shopping at our local drug store the other day and I happened upon an offical pancake puff maker on clearance, I bought it. 

The excitement in the check out line was amazing as was the volume level in the van on the ride home. I wish I could have recorded it. They told me EVERYTHING about it. It's great finger food, not just for breakfast - it makes a great snack and sidedish too, we can turn our favorite recipes into pancake puffs, cornbread puffs, blueberry muffin puffs, brownie puffs, powdered sugar puffs, pigs in a blanket puffs, it's a snap to clean up, it's non-stick, it comes with an injector to make pudding filled puffs, they even included a whole bag of 'flippin sticks' (aka wooden skewers) - and for 15 minutes they continued reciting the many wonders of the pancake puff pan. 

So when we tried it out, did it live up to the hype? I think Gwen spoke for all of us when she said, "Pancake Puffs are THE BOMB of 2009!"

I think it's going to be a great year.

8 comments:

kto1s said...

MA--

We GREW UP on ebelskeivers on the weekends. I guess the name puff pancakes are a little easier to sell though! It is still one of my favorite breakfasts. Can't beat melted butter and powdered sugar in these little puppies. If you want the authentic recipe for the danish dish, I'd be happy to share! Wish I could find one at a good price!

Keli said...

We too grew up on abelskeivers for breakfast on special occasions. My kids love them now! My mom just gave my sisters all a pan for christmas (she got at bed, bath and beyond).
Tell Gwen that the Blains all agree on her love of pancake puffs.

Emily said...

Haha! Pancake Puff - who knew?! I might just have to get me one of those!!

Hope you guys are doing well!

Iv said...

MA, due to your post I actually dreamed about that pan - frantically searching the aisles at Target for it. Weird. But I will be keeping my eyes open :) Thanks for the tip.

Jennifer said...

They are yummy. They are Kenneth's favorite. I try to make them at least once a year, but I don't love the flipping part. I would love an original danish recipe though. So if you get it from the top person pass it along, please.

jkmace said...

Awesome machine! I hate making breakfast, guess I need to make it to bed earlier!! Anyway, we should totally get together on the 19th, mi kids are out as well. Let me know what you want to do...email me! See ya soon, by the way, your new Gracie is Beautiful!!

Matthew said...

We grew up on the ebelskeivers as well...I love them. But I love more the verbatem accounts of infomercials. We get that too...apparently I HAVE to have a certain mulit-compartment purse, green bags that keep food from going bad and my favorite ProActive--for my face.
Great story.

Ronda said...

Yet another happy customer that grew up on aebleskivers. I don't know if your pan is cast iron but that seems to work the best. I just got back from Solvang, CA which is a danish town, and they had this pan for $23. I also have a great recipe where you fold in the egg whites that makes them nice and fluffly. Yum Yum Yum!!! hopefully you can try it again and your kids will enjoy them better. Dip them is jam or powdered sugar is the best.