Monday, August 18, 2008

Book Review


I liked this one. I don't read very many parenting books and I typically shy away from books like this by LDS authors, but this one came highly recommended and for a good reason. She really has it together - her philosophies on parenting and teaching kids to work are right on target. I like that she doesn't spend a lot of time explaining her philosophies, but actually gives you a good, clear plan to follow to reach your end goal of raising independent children. I especially like her ideas on allowance (we've gone back and forth on this one so many times and I'm excited to have someone else give me a plan that makes sense and is doable) along with her other ideas on teaching financial responsibility. I'm hoping to have our family settled in enough that by New Years we can implement some of her goal setting ideas and start in earnest on teaching and mastering some of the " age appropriate tasks". If you liked Parenting With Love and Logic, you'll like The Parenting Breakthrough: Real Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money and Be Truly Independent. But don't take my word for it...

3 comments:

Sue said...

If you are recommending it, I'm definitely going to read it. Thanks.

T. said...

I love parenting books. I'll have to check it out.

Jennifer said...

I really liked this book as well. I also appreciated the insight for allowances. That is a problem area for us. I'm waiting for the new year as well, since she said to not start it at the new school year. Judging by how my kids were acting when they got home yesterday, I would say that is wise.